Pranayama is the practice of directing the breath and has been found in ancient yoga teachings where the person practising learns to breath with consciousness, awareness and intent. This is generally what people seek through meditation, however, breathwork is the quickest way to enter a different state of awareness. In the weeks’ blog post, we wanted to establish the importance of the mind-body connection.
The mind-body connection simply put, is the way that your body responds to the way that you think, feel and act. A person that has a good mind-body connection is aware of their feelings, behaviours, reactions and thoughts. These people are able to cope with normal daily stresses and problems without distress.
A person that does not have an established mind-body connection will begin to feel nervous, stressed or anxious when faced with daily problems and normal life stresses. The body can react to this stress by presenting physical ailments such as stomach aches, ulcers, headaches and body pain. This often occurs as a way of the body telling you that something is off-balance.
Three reasons why we love and encourage breathwork:
- You will gain perspective on the important things in life and the challenges that life brings. Breathwork is known to assist with relieving trauma, emotional blocks, anxiety, grief and anger. Practising breathwork will provide mental clarity about the challenges, stresses and problems in life as well as how to effectively work through these negative feelings.
- People feel empowered through using breathwork. There is a sense of inner empowerment through breathwork as you work through inner issues.
- It encourages people to tap into their inner knowing. This comes from learning about the innate wisdom of your breath, and how it knows exactly where healing is needed in the body. Breathwork aligns the body with its inherent energy and allows for holistic healing.
The most important benefit of practising breathwork is that it allows the brain’s executive functioning something to focus on other that the mental level of consciousness and allows you to be transported into a deeper state of consciousness, where healing the spirt, love, self-awareness and kindness reside. This encourages healing, growing and expanding as a whole and happy person.
Four things we recommend for an effective breathwork practice:
- A quiet, calm and peaceful location with little distraction from the outside environment
- A comfortable and specific posture
- Focus and complete attention
- An open mind and positive attitude
One of the main types of breathing techniques is nose breathing. Nose or box breathing is referred to as four-square breathing and allows for the resetting of breath. This is particularly beneficial for people in stressful environments or situations that need to be brought back to a calm state. It involves 4 simple steps:
- With closed eyes, breathe in through your nose for a count of four. Allow the air to move through your lungs.
- Hold your breath, while counting to four.
- Exhale for a count of four.
- Repeat for approximately 4 minutes or until feeling relaxed and calm.
Benefits of nose breathing (other than the mind-body connection)
- Increase oxygen uptake and circulation
- Improve lung capacity
- Strengthen the diaphragm
- Support immune system
- Support the correct formation of teeth and mouth
- Reduce exposure to foreign substances and particles
At Mychondria, we like to see how red light therapy can be used as a tool for leading the healthiest and most holistic life. Red light therapy can be used to alleviate stress and negative emotions, incorporated as a meditative tool during your breathwork sessions.
Using your red light therapy device during meditation or breathwork sessions allows your body and mind to enter the most calm and peaceful state possible. While practising in front of your red light therapy device, our cells are becoming rejuvenated through an incredible process, that synergistically holistic.
Written By: Caroline Bursey
For more information, check out our incredible blogs here.
Shop our incredible devices here - its one click away.